Information technology is the use of computers and software to manage information.
Technology is what makes every other department come alive and encompasses all forms of technology used to create, store, exchange and utilize information in its various forms including business data, conversations, still and video images, and multimedia presentations. The Information Technology department is responsible for the development, maintenance, and use of computer systems, software, and networks that are used for processing information, transmitting that information, protecting the information, and later retrieving information as necessary.
The IT department provides support through technological advances and continuously improves its hardware, software and support services to ensure that each school campus, division, department, and person can function in the world of the 21st century business and learning environment.
Examples of Information Technology
• Computers and network systems used by teachers, trainers, and students for educational purposes.
• Peripherals directly connected to computer information systems used to collect or transmit audio, video or graphic information, such as scanners and document cameras.
• Data, voice, and video networks and all associated communications equipment and software.
• Server hardware and software used to support applications such as electronic mail, file and print services, database, application servers, storage systems, and other hosting services.
• Users' PCs and software.
• Software and support for office automation systems such as word processing and spreadsheets, as well as the computer to run them.
• Traditional computer applications that include data storage and programs to input, process, and output the data.
• Management and control of cloud-based services used by the school.
• Telephone equipment and switches used for voice communications.
Information Technology personnel include: Director, Network Engineer, Technology Support Analyst, and Instructional Technology Specialist